In collaboration with University of Southampton
MQA Approved & HRDC refundable
27th and 28th of November 2023
9am – 5pm
Rs 50,000 per participant
MQA Approved and HRDC refundable
UIEH Pierrefonds Campus.
After completion of the 2-day workshop, participants will receive a certificate from University of Southampton
Leading the Change: Unlocking Potential through Sustainability Reporting
In collaboration with:
In today's business world, stakeholders demand more than just financial performance data from organisations. Hence, Sustainability Reporting has emerged as a crucial aspect of modern accounting, offering comprehensive information beyond financial metrics.
Mauritius has committed to sustainable development, aligning efforts with key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This commitment is driving fundamental changes in how businesses operate and report their activities.
With the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) engaging in discussions to formalise the process of Sustainability Reporting, this course equips accounting and business professionals in Mauritius to embrace this progressive trend.
Uniciti International Education Hub, in collaboration with University of Southampton, is pleased to equip the professionals with this training so that you can contribute positively to the strategic vision of Mauritius as a sustainable small island economy.
For more information, contact us on
- Be able to explain the benefits of sustainability reporting to decision makers in your organisation
- Distinguish the different sustainability reporting frameworks and decide which one is suitable for your organisation
- Be able to apply Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) sustainability standards to prepare a sustainability report.
- Identify the key stages in preparing a sustainability report using GRI standards
- Understand the importance of and be prepared for a sustainable reporting audit.
- Opening Remarks by Professors Ven Tauringana / Pran Boolaky
- Nature of Sustainability Reporting/ESG Sustainable Development Goals (Specific focus on SDG 4, SDG 9, SDG 12, SDG 13)
- Overview of different sustainability reporting frameworks
- Overview of the GRI standards:
- Useful terminology
- Sustainability Reporting
- Introduction to GRI Standards
- Structure of GRI Standards
- How to use the GRI Standards
- GRI 2: General Disclosures 2021 (specific focus on the reporting process and the nature of information provided in Sustainability Reports)
- Case study to consolidate knowledge gained on GRI 1 and GRI 2
- GRI 3: Material Topics (specific focus will be on the process of identifying material topics)
- Case study to consolidate on the application of GRI 1, 2 and 3
- An insight into the practical aspects of preparing a sustainability report
- Assurance aspect of sustainability reporting
- Closing Remarks and Presentation of Certificates
About the trainers
Professor Ven (Venancio) Tauringana, PhD, M.Acc, MIEMA, CEnv, FHEA, CGA, AIBZ - HoD and Prof-Accounting & Sustainability
He is Head of the Department of Accounting and Professor of Accounting and Sustainability at Southampton Business School, University of Southampton. He is the Editor of the Advances in Environmental Accounting and Management, Associate Editor of the Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies, and Associate Editor of the South African Journal of Accounting Research. Ven was President of the African Accounting Association (AAFA) from 2017 to 2019.
Before joining the University of Southampton in 2016, he was with The Business School, Bournemouth University, from 2002, where he joined as a Senior Lecturer and was promoted to Associate Professor (2010) and Professor of Accounting (2014). Ven was Director of Research for the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics (2010 to 2016).
He is a Chartered Environmentalist (C.Env.), a full member of the Institute of Environment Management and Assessment (MIEMA) and a Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) certified sustainability professional.
From August 2023, he will become the Director of GRI Training on Sustainability Reporting training since SBS has just signed a global certified training partnership with GRI.
Dr Lakshi Doorgakunt,
Bsc, MTax, PGdip, FTI - Senior Teaching Fellow
She is a Senior Fellow in Accounting and the undergraduate senior tutor for the accounting department. She also represents the department at the school’s assessment and feedback group.
Prior to joining Southampton University, she was a Senior Lecturer at Kaplan Business School, Australia. Lakshi has also spent around 10 years as an auditor in the Big 4, Grant Thornton and Barclays Bank. Her area of expertise is accounting, auditing and sustainability reporting.
She is also Global Reporting Initiative Professional.
She has received various accolades in teaching such as nominations for the SUSU Awards for most engaging and best academic support for two consecutive years and she is the winner of the Vice Chancellor’s Award in the category of teaching.
Professor Pran K Boolaky,
Technical Advisory Partner at Nexia Baker & Arenson
He is among the rare birds in the accounting arena. He has worked as a practising Chartered Accountant for more than 20 years in both private and public sector and also for nearly the same period of time as an academic scholar. He has contributed his practical experience extensively in accounting and audit pedagogy as well as his research experience in both teaching and professional practice.
Pran has worked in a number of countries both as a lead consultant and a trainer on Corporate Reporting Standards and Governance.
He has developed new audit methodologies including corporate governance audit procedures, writing corporate governance manuals for a number of clients, writing strategic audit procedure manuals for corporate clients.
He has also led a number of executive training programmes on various topics such as corporate governance in insurance sector, implementation of IFRSs in banks in Africa.